Pages

Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Snows of Kilimanjaro

Well it has been well over a week since my last post, and while I really wanted to post an update it was made difficult by the fact that we have had NO internet in nearly a millenium. So where to start...

We traveled down to Amboseli National Park, which sits right on the border of Kenya and Tanzania and at the foot of Mt. Kilimanjaro - the roof of Africa. At first the mountain was covered in a thick cover of clouds, but then at night the clouds rolled back and exposed the nearly 20,000 foot tall summit. The glaciers are still atop the mountain, but are sadly disappearing as time presses on.

From Amboseli we traveled to Ngulia Safari Lodge in Tsavo West National Park. This was out in the absolute middle of no where, yet it was a beautiful place to spend a few nights. Right before dinner, the restaurant workers would tie up a piece of meat that attracted two leopards every night. So while we were eating and conversing, one of the more deadly African mammals was munching just a few yards away. Then from our balcony there was a watering hole were buffalo and elephants would spend the hotter portions of the day cooling themselves. You could just go out, sit down, and take in these great creatures.

After Tsavo West we traveled to Watamu, Kenya and stayed at the Turtle Bay Beach Club. This stop marked the final week of my Study Abroad trip. Here I spent probably 75% of my day laying in the sun or swimming, while the other 25% was spent eating. It was an absolutely beautiful place to visit. I also went snorkeling and saw a stonefish (one of the deadlier fish in the world), an octopus, and lots of sea urchins. Then two days after that we went scuba diving there in the Indian Ocean. It was amazing. We saw two green sea turtles, a sea anemone with lots of clown fish, other tropical fish, lion fish, and crocodile fish.

The best part about this stop in Turtle Bay had to be - the dancing. My group had some amazing dancers in it. A few special shout outs to Mike with his rendition of MJ's Man in the Mirror. Stevie and Colton for keeping it going everynight. Amanda for a guitar solo, which stopped time. Wes for showing us how to dance all crazy like. In short, everyone for dancing because it may have been one of my favorite memories.

With that being said we all parted ways yesterday. If was a very sad affair. As our Professor Dorothy commented, "Of course we can meet again. Mountains are the only things that don't." That woman will be tremendously missed and without her I'm 110% sure that the trip would have ended differently. I don't say it lightly when I say that she really acted like a mother to all 15 of us. Whenever we just needed a laugh or someone to vent to she was always right there. She even went so far as to teach us life's most valuable lesson - what love is. That I will probably write about some other day.

Having everyone gone is a really weird feeling. My roommate Jim left early on Friday morning and when I woke up it seriously felt like I was having withdrawls. You get so used to having the same person around then when they are gone it's kind of like being blindsided. Then waking up this morning and going to breakfast with only my roommate Adam around was really strange. Where did all 15 of my friends go?

Looking back, I can't believe 5 weeks have passed. Then again it seems like a year. Every journey must come to an end and though this study abroad trip ended yesterday, I'm positive that my friendship with all of these people will not. I have never grown so close with a group of people and though saying goodbye to them yesterday was very difficult and saddening, saying hello will be an even greater joy.

Now I am staying back at the Hopcraft Ranch in Athi River. Then on Monday I'll be heading up north to Nakuru National Park and starting my intership. I expect the first week will be difficult as I will know absolutely no one, but luckily nearly every Kenyan I've met loves to talk to a white guy that knows some Swahili.

Take care,

Jordan

5 comments:

  1. I just caught up on my reading, and all I can say is wow. What an amazing trip you have described, I can't wait to hear you talk about your time. Good luck on Monday, I know you're going to do great! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jealous...hope u got some pictures
    -Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like you make up most of this stuff, well played.

    love Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reading, Jordan. I'm looking forward to the first few internship installments. You seem to be developing an "African-American" soul, if I can put it that way. (Perhaps "American-African" is more like it...)

    David C

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have really enjoyed reading about your life abroad. You are really good! I believe your aunt Kathleen will send a note tommrow. Keep on posting. Kathy S.

    ReplyDelete