Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Far From an African Shack

This is a picture of the house that I'm living in here in Nakuru. It is owned by a woman and her husband, we call them Mama and Papa Kena. They seem to own nearly everything in Nakuru.

Tomorrow morning, about 4 a.m., I will be leaving for the Masai Mara near the border of Kenya and Tanzania. It is home to one of the greatest migrations in the entire world - the migration of wildebeest and zebra from Tanzania up into Kenya. The migration, as a whole, has probably not started yet, but the first herds may be grouping there now. I'm really excited to see this. Many people call it the 8th Wonder of the World. Over 2 million animals make the annual journey and along the way many are killed by crocodiles, lions, leopards, and many more drowned as they cross the Mara River. "Nature is a real hard bitch of a mother" as one of my lecturers once so eloquently stated.

The chance at seeing part of this migration, let alone the Mara, is a dream come true. This is the Africa that so many think of - open savannahs, enormous skies, and animals in every direction.

I have still not started my internship in Nakuru. I really don't have any idea when I actually will. I thought after being here for two weeks that I would have at least made it into the office, but that was some dream. This whole mess up really makes this trip to the Mara even greater. I really need a vacation now (I say that lightly as everyone back home is working).

The great thing is that here in Nakuru I'm living with Mama Kena and her family as well as 6 other interns. 3 of them are Americans that are currently living in S. Korea and working as teachers. The other three are students at different American universities and are here to study varying fields. I really like all of them, which is great because we all live fairly close together even though our home is enormous. Well I must be going now. Not that I have a job to rush off to, I just don't have anything more to say.

Take care.

Jordan

1 comment:

  1. well let mama and papa kena kno that everyone i've showed the house to says it's gorgeous. definitely not what i was expecting . hope the migration was sweet.
    Brandon.

    ReplyDelete