Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Vomizzlers

At least once, but hopefully a few times, each month I get a package from home.  Sometimes they're from family and sometimes they're from friends, but nearly every package I get has candy in it.  I can find Twix, Snickers, and even the occasional Crunch bar in the larger Zambian cities, but specialty items like Nerds, bubble gum, or Twizzlers (the focus of this blog post) have to come from the United States.

A little while back I picked up one of these packages.  It was a great package.  Lots of different kinds of candy, a personal note from the sender, and some other odds and ends.  It was great knowing people back home hadn't forgotten about me - but what made it especially great was the family size package of Twizzlers that were included.

I opened the package and ate a few.  I then ate a few more.  Then a few more, and before I knew it half of the package was gone.  I had eaten half of a family size portion, otherwise known as what two normal people would eat.  And I had done this in one sitting.

Around the same time I discovered this I realized that it was time to make dinner.  I'm lazy though and opted for more Twizzlers.  Plus, I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could eat the rest of the package.  It's the small challenges that make life so worthwhile, right?

I can't say no to these little twisted delights.

Wrong.  I finished that package.  In fact, it wasn't even that difficult.  Unfortunately, the human body is not equipped for so much strawberry flavored goodness and just a few minutes after finishing the package a felt a twinge in my stomach.  I knew what this meant.  I raced outside to my trash pit and I vomited.  Out came a family size helping of Red 40 colored, partly chewed Twizzlers.  It was disgusting.  I felt not only physically sick but also disappointed in myself that I couldn't hold them down.  I'd wasted a completely good American candy in such a pointless way.

When asked if people should continue sending me Twizzlers after this story I respond with, "Yes, but please send smaller packages."  I secretly believe that another family size package will be irresistible to me... I just can't say no to such a great candy.

1 comment: