Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

An Update on Mr. Kook

Here's an update on Mr. Kook, the chicken that I was given some months ago.  Well, he has been eaten.  For a while Mr. Kook enjoyed a fantastic life.  He was the only rooster in the village and had all the hens to himself.  However, that couldn't last forever.  Soon some other roosters grew as big, if not bigger, than Mr. Kook and he was continually having to defend his ladies.  He did this for some time, but when he could no longer hold his ground I knew it was time - his reign was over.

I shared him with a family that I live near, and one night we ate him.  He wasn't particularly tasty, but it was meat (something I rarely am able to find around the village), so I enjoyed.

This is my portion of Mr. Kook.
But, Mr. Kook's legacy lives on.  He fathered many chicks with many hens in the village and his blood lines are continuing on.  I often see small chicks with his same odd feather coloration cruising around the village.

And to say thank you for sharing him with my neighbors, they in turn gave me a hen.  I've named her Mrs. Kook and it's just too bad her and Mr. Kook will never meet.  Even though he's no longer strutting around the village his babies are and I now have a hen that will produce chicks because of him and his sacrifice to feed me and some locals.  Thanks, Mr. Kook!

No comments:

Post a Comment