Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Volunteers (1985)

I just finished watching the movie Volunteers, which stars Tom Hanks and John Candy.  It's about a rich kid that goes to the Peace Corps to avoid the gambling debts that he's previously incurred during his college years.  Although not exactly the same path that I, or other volunteers, have followed the movie is pretty accurate in some very important areas.  

Note: If you have never seen this movie then please do so. It's not only funny, but it's also a great representation of life here in the Peace Corps. 


Although taking place in Thailand, Volunteers is a fantastic example of some of Peace Corps' finer points of service.  
For instance, the supposed links to the CIA.  Three times now I have been accused and / or asked if I work for the CIA here in Zambia.  My answer is always the same - "Do you really think that the Central Intelligence Agency - one of the greatest spy agencies on the Earth - is really interested in what is going on in this tiny, tiny village?"  No.  I am not a CIA operative, and no the CIA, I doubt, is interested in this little mark on a map.  However, the US government is interested in this place, the people, and their livelihoods or I wouldn't be in my tiny village - and I'm thankful for that.

Next, is the goodness that is incurred while drinking pop, or call it what you will: soda, soda pop, fizzies, etc.  Sometimes drinking a Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, or even the subpar Zambian soft drinks are like Heaven-sent mana.  Especially when water has been the quencher of all thirst needs for the past week, two, or three - maybe more.

Thirdly, the character of Tom Tuttle from Tacoma (Washington).  Even though I have never met someone so hardcore as this, it still makes for a great movie character, as well as providing a laugh for me.  
John Candy's representation of "Tom Tuttle from Tacoma" is accurate of some PCVs' determination to do a good / great job.
Lastly, the community meetings that this movie portrayed are spot on.  Meeting with groups, where you don't really speak much of the language, is an incredible test in perseverance and patience.  Sometimes, even when I am nearly 100% sure that I'm speaking the local language correctly it turns out that it's totally, completely wrong.  That's just the language, not even trying to get everyone to see your point of view or coming to a similar consensus on the issue - in the movie that's the building of a bridge.

The movie is funny enough by itself, but to be here and doing the same job as the characters' is that much better.  in the end, I would like to finish with my favorite line from the movie, "I came here.  I  helped build a bridge and some fat guys touched me.  I had a full life..."

1 comment:

  1. Jordan:
    The CIA will not be interested in what you're doing unless a lot of bad things happen over which you have little control. In my own case, a young government official, who was being pursued by the chief communist suppression officer of my province, sought me out as a refuge while I was sitting having a Coke behind the government office building. Minding my own business, if you will. Then I fell in love, and she pretended to love me too, and that caused everyone much distress. Including the CIA. I was a civil engineer in Thailand many years ago, but only a few of us ever built bridges. We built mostly dams and spillways. Sounds like you're living the life. Best wishes, Jim Jouppi

    ReplyDelete