Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Rather Unfair Comparison

So lately I have been doing a lot of tree planting here on the ranch. All my other projects have either been completed or they are being done by some other workers. Instead, I've been enrolled in the Phil Tilley College for Tree Planting. What this means is that the ranch manager, Phil, has me planting an unbelievable amount of trees all over the ranch. So far, I've done maybe 200 or so.

The other day, I was working along the fence line planting trees when the neighbor, named Joel, drove up to see what I was doing. He is a missionary here in Kenya. He asked what I was doing, I told him, then after chatting for a while he said, "I have a son here that looks to be about your age. This is his house." He whipped around and indicated the house behind him. I thought, "Okay. That's nice." Joel left just a few minutes later and I went back to work.

This all happened yesterday. Today, I am working near the same area and I look over at the "son's house" and I see the son sitting out in the yard reading a book. Playing around him are two young boys. I stand there for a bit and think..."Wait, that guy is bald and old. He's got two kids. We look nothing similar." Then I started to thinking about how haggard and old looking I must appear for someone to assume I'm not my age, 23, but rather in my early 30's or even older. I'm positive that was his son, so I'm kind of confused as to what this man was saying to me. In a sense I suppose I feel like it was a very unfair and invalid comparison. Then on another hand, I think maybe I just look old and weathered. I'm like an old grandpa now.

Take care.

Jordan

3 comments:

  1. ive heard white people age fast in africa

    ReplyDelete
  2. you come home in 2 days, i will see you, it will be nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hair stylist pointed out 3 or 4 gray hairs on my head this week, I feel your pain. See you very soon I hope!

    ReplyDelete