Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My Final Post: It's in your blood.

It's been three days since I came back from Kenya, and I got to thinking last night that I should do one final post.  I wanted to write a final post when I was still in Kenya, but my last few days there were pretty hectic and busy.  So here it is...

I have had a lot of people ask me how I enjoyed my time in Kenya and if I would do it again.  The answer is absolutely.  I was in Kenya for three months and when I think about it now, it seems like I just got there a few weeks ago, but then when I think about all that I have seen and done, it seems like so long ago that I first landed and set off on my journey.  

So now that I have had some time to let it all sink in, the best way to really summarize my trip is by saying, I have had a very fortunate trip.  So very fortunate.  I've gotten to do some pretty amazing things like rafting the Nile, standing in the middle of the East African migration, touring a large percentage of Kenya, scuba diving in the Indian Ocean, and most importantly meeting and spending time with the Kenyan people.  These people made the trip for me, the other things were great, but without the people the trip would of surely lacked substance.  

People like Keli (my driver and Swahili teacher), Dorothy (my Kenyan professor that taught me so much about the country and its people), Wambua (who showed me maybe some of the not so fine parts of Kenya), Kevin (who taught me all about the other stuff that people should know), and my favorite, Dr. Jim Cavanaugh (who taught me about passion and its importance).  I'm even thankful for my MSU professor, Todd the Bod, who I didn't like at all.  He taught me I never want to be anything like him.

I had a terrific trip.  Though it had some tough times and sometimes things didn't go the way I wanted them to, everything worked out for the absolute best in the end.  I'm sad to see it ending, but I am leaving after months of gaining valuable insight, knowledge, and having experienced a wonderful land and its people.  With all that in mind I will never forget my Kenyan summer, and I'm quite sure that I'll go back someday.  As Raine, the woman who was in charge of Acacia camp, where I ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner, said to me, "Jordan, you'll come back.  I know you will.  Africa gets into some people's blood and I can tell it's in yours.  You'll be back."

Take care for the last time. 

Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment