Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Charlie Hustle



For many years now I've suffered from a disease that I seldom speak of. But when I do, I speak with some serious fire and passion. I'm no expert on the disease, but I know the ailments to my condition as well as I know the palms of my hands. I suffer from Roseitis, and it's heartbreaking. Doctors have no idea how I came down with it. I do - it's a mixture of intense love for the game of baseball, a hate of Bud Selig (the commissioner of the MLB), an undying hope that the Reds will one day return to greatness, and a desire to see baseball's injustices reversed.

With this in mind, imagine how positive I felt about my sickness when my brother sent me an email the other day telling me that Pete Rose, Mr. Charlie Hustle, may be on the 2010 Hall of Fame ballet. I felt the illness leave my pores instantly.

I have no idea why, still to this day, Pete Rose is not in the Hall of Fame. How can it be that the career hits leader is not in the Hall? It's a travesty. A real enigma. I'm not saying the man is a saint. He's not even an alter boy, or a guy that sometimes goes to church on the holidays and then leaves early. He is, however, one of the greatest baseball players to ever play the game, and him not being in the Hall of Fame...that's just a crime.

The man played with all the heart, sweat, and talent that you could ever hope for from a professional athlete. When I was younger I remember a coach of mine telling me that you should play ball like every game was your last. I never did this, yet Pete Rose did (maybe that's why he was a professional and I was far from it). He was and still is Charlie Hustle, the all-time career hits leader in Major League Baseball, and by him not being in the Hall of Fame it just gives baseball another black eye to go along with the nice shiner they received from the steroid era. Good job Bud (Selig), you've done a terrific job trying to ruin a man and a game.

Fortunately, my sickness has a disease and it comes in the form of enshrinement in Cooperstown. I now feel my ailment lessening day by day.

Take care.

Jordan

I really miss baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment