Pages

Friday, May 8, 2009

This Is Going To Last Me For Three Months?

The title of this post is basically the question that keeps going through my head the last few days.  How do I know what I will and will not need while I'm gone. The answer I came up with, a very obvious answer, is - I won't.  I can only try to prepare, but I did make a list of three things that I MUST take in order to have a successful trip.  1) A pen and paper to write down what I see, think, and most importantly to catalog the little things that I otherwise would forget.  2) A camera to capture those moments in time and place.  3) A clean haircut, because as you all know, I'm known for my aerodynamics.  Not really but I can dream.  The third important thing that I'm taking is a poncho incase a monkey throws poop on me.  I would hate to be the guy that gets hit with poo and then brings back some wicked disease to the US that makes everyone freak out.  A disease like ape flu, the deadlier cousin to swine flu.

Anyway, I leave at 7:30PM on Saturday and its hard to imagine that I went to Africa nearly one year ago and when I got home all I wanted to do was return.  Now I'm going back.  Pretty amazing, but I still have no idea what to expect.  I've heard that East Africa is like night and day from Souther Africa.  Different histories, cultures, landscape, and so on.  It should be an interesting trip in which I'll learn so much that my head will probably swell to even more enormous proportions then what it is now, but that's a small price to pay for all that I am about to learn.  

I need to go and make final preparations for my date with destiny.  As I've said before, I will update this blog as frequently and consistently as I can.  It is my hope that this blog will serve as a sort of portal into not only what I'm doing but to the region of East Africa as a whole.  Take care and be safe.  

5 comments:

  1. With the number of times you packed and repacked, you surely didn't forget anything - except maybe your Columbia jacket??? Missed you on Mother's Day! Tigers still going strong!!!
    :-) Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. JB!!!! is this where i leave messages for you? i hope so. i'm workin in the lib shelving books this summer and its not the same without you. i also wanted to tell you that i'm really bored without being the president of anything now. anyways, hope you're having fun saving the world so far!!!
    -former president and your dedicated follower, beth slocum

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got a date with destiny and she ordered the lobster!

    -Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Your head couldn't possibly get any bigger. Let's be honest here, jordan.

    (miss you already :( come home now)

    ReplyDelete