Pages

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saying Goodbye

Today was one of those really surreal moments that happen when you stop and think, "Wow, this is really happening" or "I can't believe I'm going to do this."  I think they often happen before big purchases and weddings.  It happened as I was leaving my neighbor's house and Geoff (my neighbor) looked at me and said, "Well I probably won't see you again, so have fun in Africa and enjoy your trip."  He is getting his wisdom teeth pulled and is leaving East Lansing tomorrow.  I have other friends from back home that I go extended periods of time without seeing, but this instance was the first time that I really thought about how I'm going to another hemisphere, another continent, and an entirely different way of life.  I truly am leaving it all behind.  Crazy.  

I should be somewhat used to this sort of thing.  I've already said goodbye to my best friend Brandon and when all is said and done over four months will have passed between saying goodbye and seeing him again.  When I return in August it'll be something like eight months since I've seen my roommate Jeanne (she took an internship in LA).  Yet saying goodbye today was the first time that my leave away from home really hit me.  Luckily, this thing called the internet was created and I'm sure that it will allow me some sense of normalcy and a way of keeping in touch with everyone back home.  

That brings me to my next and final point.  I would really encourage and appreciate any comments on either my facebook page or this blog.  Not that I really care what you all are doing (haha I'm only kidding) but in case of a homesickness attack, I'm sure reading any comments and message would offer me some sort of a remedy.  Not to mention I won't feel completely out of my element when I return and at least know a bit of what has been going on. Just remember my mother may read them, so any inappropriate jokes should be made so that she can laugh at them as well.  

6 comments:

  1. You won't be able to beat me at bowling next year because I will be gone at Pittsburgh. Sad day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8 months, crazy crazy crazy. I liked the name drop though, :) So excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when I read your blogs I feel like I'm reading an old man's journal...in a good way. ;) I'll miss you jojo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I'M OFFICIALLY A FOLLOWER!! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so it just goes to show how challenged i am, i just spent the past 25 minutes trying to upload the single off daves CD. and im sorry jo, but i do not know how. i have failed you. i know you are but, hope your having an amazing time

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, make sure you come back tan this time. last time when you came back all white it was a little weird. man love

    ReplyDelete