Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Teaching at Kalende Mission College

For a few months now I’ve been teaching a class, every Tuesday and Wednesday at a small college
near my house. With only eight students I consider it to be just about the per­fect size
for my novice teaching abilities.
My students and myself in front of Kalende Mission College's sign.
Of the eight students and my­self, I’m the only one in my 20’s – the rest are all older than me, which is somewhat strangeto be the teacher when I’m essential­ly the correct “student” age.

This isn’t a typical class in a typical college though. The col­lege is a small Bible college where students from all over the North-Western Province of Zambia come to earn a theolog­ical degree.

The administration of the col­lege heard that I was in the area, tracked me down and asked if I would be willing to teach their first-year students in a life skills class. As it turns out, life skills in this part of the world mean agri­culture, so I happily agreed.

Every Tuesday and Wednes­day from about 8 a.m. to half past noon, I teach the students of Kalende Mission College
 about crop farming, gardening, for­estry and I’ve even sprinkled in some extra subject areas like fish farming, nutrition and ba­sic business skills.

So far, one term finished and midway through the second, I’m really enjoying the chance to teach in a more formal setting and have at least one structured activity during the week.


The teaching isn’t without its challenges though. At times I struggle with getting the sub­ject matter to neatly fit my time constraints. I seem to nearly al­ways go too short or too long for a period – never just right.

And I also have those mo­ments when my students try their hardest to stump me with a seemingly impossible or un­knowable question, and luckily I’m never too proud to say that I don’t know or that I’ll get back to them when I can findthecorrect answer – not something I make up.

It’s been a great experience and what makes the teaching so much fun are the students themselves. They genuinely seem to enjoy having me there.

And as the weeks pass I’m be­coming just that much more fa­miliar with each of the students and their individual personal­ities.

For example, when one stu­dent raises his hand I know to expect a very good question. And I know which student is most likely to fall asleep during a class; which student has the best humor; and which student needs a bit of an extra push and reassurance that he’s doing things correctly.

Teaching about beneficial trees (for soil improvement and food) or how mulching can pro­vide many substantial benefits to a gardener is good, but watching the idea click for them and seeing their eyes light up as if they have just made a great real­ization is the best.

Now I know what all those teachers from my years at Pennfield were talking about when they said watching a stu­dent learn was what made the job and their efforts worth­while.

My hope in teaching this class is that after the students learn from me, in my class, they’ll go back to their commu­nities and teach their friends and family what they learned.
I can imagine no better means of transferring knowl­edge and nothing would make me prouder or make my time and efforts here more worth­while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment