Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Photos From Kalende College

Here are a few photos from my time teaching at Kalende Mission College in Mufumbwe, North-Western Province, Zambia.
I try to add to the agricultural techniques that they already know.   This can be done by adding to existing knowledge or, like here, introducing a new system or tool - this bicycle plow.
This student, Oliver, had never had a field or garden before, but told me on the last day of class that he now felt confident he could manage at least a few garden beds.
To demonstrate certain topics I would have the students travel to my village and meet with other farmers that I work with.  
Here they're meeting with my good friend Mr. Nshimbi to see how a fish pond is built and managed.
Mr. Nshimbi, the one on the right, helped twice during the year to teach certain sections in the local language, so that the students would understand the topics that much better.
Gardening is a great way to improve food security and income in a rural setting.  The students had a lot of knowledge about this topic from their own personal experiences.  I learned a lot from them.

The man pictured here, Joel, was the smallest physically in the class but used the largest hoe.  No joke, it weighed at least 8 pounds.  
Here, Wilson, is mixing carrot seeds with sand  before sowing his garden bed.
Mr. Nshimbi, a fine gardener in his own right, came one day to talk about his personal experiences in regards to growing vegetables in Zambia.

No comments:

Post a Comment