Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Letter Writing

I wrote my dad a letter a while back in which I told him that I probably do more writing now that I'm in the Peace Corps than I ever did in college.  Between writing things like this blog, the occasional newspaper article, in my journal, reports for Peace Corps, and (my favorite of them all) letters to friends and family back home it feels like my hand and pen never get the chance to stop.  However, I love it and am enjoying all of the writing.

For those of you that have received a letter from me - you're welcome and I hope you enjoyed it.  For those of you that have not received one of my hand-written letters - send me your address and I'd be happy to write one up for you.  I promise that it'll have a really cool Zambian stamp on it, be full of laughs, and hopefully you'll learn something about this little corner of the world as you read it.

Writing a letter in the forest.  It's about as close to an office as I have.
The worst thing about writing these letters isn't the time it takes to write a hand-written 3 or 4 page letter or even the buying of postage to mail it (which really isn't that expensive), but it's the crappy pens here. Most of the American pens that I brought with me have long since dried up and been disposed of.  Zambian pens are lacking heavily, and because of no electricity I can't use my computer to write.  That means everything is written the old fashioned way - with time and crappy pens (apparently).

If anyone is looking for something to send me let me give you one hint: pens.  I'll use the pens you send me to write you a really nice thank you letter.  I'd greatly appreciate that, and you can take comfort knowing that somewhere in the Zambian forest I'm just sitting there on a log writing, writing, and writing.

1 comment:

  1. Are they worse than the pens at the BLM?

    ReplyDelete