Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Health In The Peace Corps


I argue that health in the Peace Corps starts with general cleanliness, which is something that is strictly on a volunteer’s shoulders. And I swear that I can’t keep from looking anything other than dirty when I’m at home in Makiya Village.
Every day I wake up, go out, work on my projects and when I finish for the day I’m just filthy — easily a few shades darker by the end of the day.
The dirt and grime isn’t found only behind my ears like a grandmother might warn, but also in my elbow joints, behind my knees and at least an eighth of an inch of dust covers my ankles every night.
As if I’m Shakespeare’s Lady Macbeth, I wash my face, arms and legs while muttering, “Out damn spot, out.” But it’s to no avail because as quickly as I finish with my bucket bath, I dry off and instantly notice that I’ve missed a spot or didn’t scrub nearly hard enough.
When that happens I don’t even go back and try to fix it. I think, “What’s the point? I’ll get it tomorrow.”
For the more severe health issues, not involving general hygiene, Peace Corps Medical Officers are there for the beckoning.
And while Peace Corps could be better at some things, it’s really good at things like tropical diseases and infections. They’re also good at something else — giving shots and making people like me take a whole lot of pills (but only when needed, of course).
Before coming to Zambia and in the year and half that I’ve been here, I’ve received dozens of shots in the form of boosters and vaccinations.
One vaccination had an insanely long name and seemed really painful if I was to be infected with it. I desperately wanted to avoid getting it, so I let them jab away at me.
Zambia is a country at the heart of the world’s HIV/AIDS and malaria epidemics; but also home to typhoid fever, hepatitis, schistosomiasis, measles, dysentery, an assortment of bacterial and protozoan diseases, as well as other nasty sicknesses that the common man has never heard of.
So, I’m more than happy to take what they say, let them inject where they want and follow their do’s and don’ts for staying healthy.
My hat is off to the Peace Corps medical staff because it deals with more than 250 volunteers in Zambia, and there are only three of them on staff.
Some volunteers are stoic and never complain, while others are wimpy and whiny to the extreme. But no matter the volunteer the medical staff never ceases to answer our silly questions, which are usually based on unfounded fears and speculation.
At the end of the day, I probably feel healthier than I have in years and I really don't worry too much about what kinds of illnesses I may possibly develop, because, in my opinion, the Peace Corps does a pretty good job at taking care of volunteers.
For instance, should I get really sick, they’ll fly me out of my site if the situation is deemed necessary. And if it’s bad enough, they’ll airlift me to South Africa or even the United States for the proper medical care required.
About the only thing I’ve really had to contend with in Zambia is a bout of Mr. D. (diarrhea) as they call it. That one easily knocks me out for a few days, and unfortunately, there is no shot or pill for that.
So bring on the nasty, tropical, stomach-twisting diseases that Central Africa has to offer. I think I'm ready.
At least I have enough puncture marks in my left shoulder to prove I have had the vaccinations to combat any of these microbial minions that call Zambia home.

No comments:

Post a Comment