Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Living HIV Positive

As a newly sworn in Peace Corps Volunteer I am fully aware that my work is about to begin and before I know it I'll be in the full swing of things in my village.  Aside from working on agricultural and environmental projects, one of the issues that I will spend much of my time addressing will be HIV / AIDS here in Zambia, specifically in Mufumbwe District (where I'll be living).  As a whole, about 16% of the Zambian population is infected with HIV - Zambia is right in the heart of the worldwide HIV / AIDS epicenter.

I have no idea how many questions I got about HIV / AIDS before coming to Zambia, but there is no doubt in my mind that people asked more about that than anything else.  For as much as we Americans know about HIV (how it is transmitted and those that are most at risk to contract it), we still don't know much about the virus itself, and we still attach a lot of stigmas to it.  So this blog, though brief, will be about my first (known) encounter with HIV + people and how they live their lives with it.

The first thing I will say about HIV - it isn't lurking around every corner here in Zambia, in Africa, or anywhere in the world.  It's out there, but it isn't everywhere.  The second thing, with advances in medicine those that are affected with HIV now have the opportunity to live more normal and long lives.  HIV no longer leads to the guaranteed death sentence that it use to, and that's a very, very good thing.

About five weeks ago, while in training, we had half a day in which five people that were HIV + came to meet with us and discuss how they handle being infected with HIV and how they live their daily lives.

One woman told the story of how when she found out she was infected she informed her husband and insisted he be tested.  He refused and left her completely.  Just a few short years later he died from AIDS, and she is still living.  It has since been determined that he gave her the virus many years before she was tested.

Another man told the story of how he has been living with it for over 20 years.  He had no idea that he had the virus until his daughter died suddenly of suspected tuberculosis.  TB is sometimes blamed for deaths when, in fact, the real culprit is HIV / AIDS.  After she passed he went and got tested... since then he has known he has it.

These are just a couple of the stories, but all of the people we spoke with had really compelling, heartbreaking, and hopeful stories.  And that's just it - everyone with this condition has a story and a battle.  Luckily the odds in successfully fighting this battle have greatly improved.  The key is to live a healthy lifestyle (good food and exercise) and take full advantage of the medicines that are freely and readily available.

John, Linus, Mary(?), Eugene, Me, and Charicia
It was one of the best sessions that we had during our entire three months of training, and to hear their stories was really a unique experience.  However, I think the thing (for me at least) that was the most useful was to actually put names and faces with this terrible virus.  It can be a bit difficult to totally understand the condition when you know absolutely no one that is affected by it.  I really want to thank all of these speakers for coming to talk with us trainees.

3 comments:

  1. What a great training! Guess it's the same as what happens when people have the opportunity to get to know those of different races, cultures, and sexual orientations.

    Congratulations on your Battlecreek newpaper gig!
    Love, Aunt Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post, and I don't want to take-away from that....but did you photoshop yourself into this picture? You did, did't you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY NAME IS DORIS ALFRED FROM SOUTH AFRICA...I SAW THIS COMMENT ON POSITIVE BLOGS AND I WILL LOVE TO TELL EVERY BODY HOW MY STATUS CHANGES TO NEGATIVE, AND AM NOW A LIVING WITNESS OF IT AND I THINK ITS A SHAME ON ME IF I DON'T SHARE THIS LOVELY STORY WITH OTHER PEOPLE INFECTED WITH THIS DEADLY VIRUS...,HIV HAS BEEN ONGOING IN MY FAMILY... I LOST BOTH PARENTS TO HIV,. AND IT IS SO MUCH PAIN IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OVER.. AS WE ALL KNOW MEDICALLY THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO IT..AND MEDICATION IS VERY EXPENSIVE..SO SOMEONE INTRODUCED ME TO A NATIVE MEDICAL PRACTITIONER IN AFRICA..I HAD A JOB THERE TO EXECUTE SO I TOOK TIME TO CHECK OUT ON HIM.I SHOWED HIM ALL MY TESTS AND RESULTS.. I WAS ALREADY DIAGNOSED WITH HIV AND IT WAS ALREADY TAKING ITS TOWL ON ME.. I HAD SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I DECIDED TO TRY HIM OUT...I WAS ON HIS DOSAGE FOR 3 WEEKS. ALTHOUGH I DIDNT BELIEVE IN IT, I WAS JUST TRYING IT OUT OF FRUSTRATION... AND AFTER 2 WEEKS, I WENT FOR NEW TESTS... AND YOU WONT BELIEVE THAT 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS CONFIRMED IT THAT AM NEGATIVE..IT WAS LIKE A DREAM,,I NEVER BELIEVE AIDS HAS CURE..AM NOW NEGATIVE,,AM A LIVING WITNESS..I DONT KNOW HOW TO THANK THIS MAN... I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS IN ANY WAY I CAN..HAVE JOINED MANY FORUMS AND HAVE POSTED THIS TESTIMONIES AND ALOT OF PEOPLE HAS MAIL AND CALLED THIS MAN ON PHONE AND AFTER 2 MONTHS THEY ALL CONFIRMED NEGATIVE..BBC NEWS TOOK IT LIVE AND EVERY.. HOPE HE HELPS YOU OUT.. EVERYBODY SAW IT AND ITS NOW OUT IN PAPERS AND MAGAZINES THAT THERE'S NATIVE CURE FOR HIV AND ALL WITH THE HELP OF THIS MAN,,HAVE TRIED MY OWN PARTS AND ALL LEFT WITH YOU,,IF YOU LIKE TAKE IT OR NOT..GOD KNOWS HAVE TRIED MY BEST.ABOUT 97 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE THROUGH ME..AND THEY SEND MAILS TO THANKS ME AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE,,THIS MAN IS REAL..DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE,,HIV IS A DEADLY VIRUS,,GET RID OF IT NOW..

    case there is anyone who has similar problem and still

    looking for a way out, and he those cast all kind of spell like ::

    Love Spells

    Luck, Money Spells

    Health, Well Being

    Protection, Healing

    Curses, Hex, Breakups

    NEW! Combo Spells

    High Priestess Spells

    Vampire Spells

    Authentic Voodoo Spells

    Custom, Other Spells

    Business spells

    Health/Healing spells

    Curse removal

    Job spells

    Healing from all kind of diseases

    Love binding

    Barrenness(need a child)

    Need love

    Lottery Spells

    Promotions

    Success

    Money rituals

    winning court case

    Divorce spells

    Low sperm count

    Infertility in women

    Breast enlargement/reduction

    Penis enlargement/reduction

    YOU CAN CONTACT HIM HERE AS (dr.abalaka@outlook.com or (518) 303-6207) if you need any question contact me via here as dorisalfred@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete