Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Me and Loocy



The top photo is of my cottage at the ranch. The bottom photo is of the Range Rover, Loocy, that I cruise around in.

I am now down in Athi River, just south of Nairobi, at the Hopcraft Ranch. After staying here for just a few days, I really regret ever even going to Nakuru. The ranch is so much better. Let me list the ways:

First, I have my own cottage in the middle of an open grassland, and every morning when I wake up, like clockwork, I look out my window and see giraffes just walking by and browsing on the acacia trees. It's amazing to witness and no matter how many time I see it, I never get tired of the view.

Secondly, I have my own vehicle, Loocy. It belongs to Phil the ranch manager here. It is an old Range Rover, which has been transformed from its original shell into an off-road beast of a machine. It's not the fastest or sleekest car in the world, but it is amazingly smooth, powerful, and I'm quite sure I'll never get stuck somewhere while driving it.

Thirdly, I have things to do here. It's not like Nakuru where the highlight of my day was going to the internet cafe for an hour then going to lunch. At the ranch I actually have projects to work on. Right now, I'm working on a water diversion system that takes dirty water, runs it through some pipes and trenches, then at the other end it comes out clean. At least that's the plan.

Fourthly, at the ranch I don't have to worry about little street kids, that are high out of their minds from huffing glue, beg me for money. It was always so sad in Nakuru to see the kids that were in that position, yet so many of them had chances to go to school. Instead, they ran away to the streets.

Finally, the people at the ranch are so great and kind. I'm always welcome where ever they are. In fact, every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday we all sit down and watch this Spanish soap opera called Storm in Paradise. It's dubbed over in English and completely ridiculous. I love sitting there with 8 or 9 Kenyans watching a show that's dubbed over so poorly. It's so funny.

So with that being said, I will spend the last three weeks of my time in Kenya with Loocy and the African wild. Me and Loocy cruising across the savanna.

Take care.

Jordan

6 comments:

  1. one word: irrigation. you were born for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm jealous of your wheels, jb. and that project sounds sweet. i still remember everything you taught me about dirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real jealous of that ride, needs a wash though if you have a minute. Stay safe neighbor, see you soon! Enjoy your last few weeks, its going to fly by before you know it...

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. well im glad u went to nakuru, u never would have met your long lost older brother...

    so glad u are enjoying the ranch you deserve it after the stuff that KWS put you through.

    enjoy your time man...hope to hear from you soon

    -Dustin-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bring Loocy home. we could use her around east lansing. i've been looking for creative ways to get through my hit list. ;) LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, I can't believe the high life you're living. A gorgeous personal cottage with giraffes every morning, and driving that kickass range rover around? Someone's a little crazy-jealous over here.

    ReplyDelete